The first rank that EVERY boy earns when entering the Cub Scouting Program is the Bobcat rank. These requirements are meant to demonstrate that the boy is making a commitment to participating in the scouting program. Very similar requirements are expected of a boy joining Boy Scouts to earn his Scout rank.
To earn the Bobcat rank the new Cub Scout does the following:
- Learn and say the CUB SCOUT PROMISE:Meaning of the Cub Scout Promise:
The Cub Scout Promise
I ... (your name) ... promise to do my best,
To do my duty to god and country,
To help other people, and
To obey the Law of the PackDuty to God means: Put God first. Do what you know God wants you to do. And my country means: Do what you can for your country. Be proud that you are an American. To help other people means: Do things for others that would please them. Obey the Law of the Pack means: Be a good Cub Scout. Be proud that you are one.
- Say the LAW OF THE PACK. Tell what it means.Meaning of The Law Of The Pack:
The Law of the Pack
The Cub Scout follows Akela.
The Cub Scout helps the pack go.
The pack helps the Cub Scout grow.
The Cub Scout gives goodwill.The Cub Scout follows Akela (say Ah-KAY-la) means: Akela is a good leader. Your mother or father is Akela. In the Pack, your Cubmaster is Akela. Your Den Leader is Akela. At school, your teacher is Akela. The Cub Scout helps the Pack go means: Come to all the meetings. Do what you can to help. Think of others in the pack. The Pack helps the Cub Scout grow means: You can have fun when you are a part of the pack. Learn things from others. Do things with them. The Cub Scout gives goodwill means: Smile. Be happy. Do things that make others happy. They don't have to be big things. Little Things help, too.
- Tell what WEBELOS means:
"WE'll BE LOyal Scouts "
- Show the CUB SCOUT SIGN. Tell what it means.
Make the sign with your right hand and with your arm held straight up. The two fingers stand for two parts of the Promise - "to help other people" and "to obey." They look like a wolf's ears ready to listen to Akela. Give the Cub Scout Sign when you say the Cub Scout Promise or the Law of the Pack.
- Show the CUB SCOUT HANDSHAKE. Tell what it means.
Using your right hand, place your first two fingers along the inside of the other boy's wrist. This means that you help and that you obey the law of the Pack.
- Say the CUB SCOUT MOTTO.
Cub Scout Motto
Do Your Best
- Give the CUB SCOUT SALUTE. Tell what it means.
Point your first two fingers of your right hand out straight and close together. Touch the tips of the fingers to your cap or if not wearing a cap then to your eyebrow. A salute is a way to show respect. When you salute a leader (either adult or other scout), you show him or her that you respect their position. When you salute the flag, you show that you are proud of your country.
- With your parent or guardian, complete the exercises in the booklet,
How to Protect Your Children from Child Abuse.
The Honesty Character Connection
- Know: Discuss these questions with your family. What is a promise? What does it mean to "keep your word?" What does honesty mean? What does it mean to "do your best?"
- Commit: Discuss these questions with your family. Why is a promise important? Why is it important for people to trust you when you give your word? When might it be difficult to keep your word? List examples.
- Practice: Discuss with family members why it is important to be trustworthy and honest and how can you do your best to be honest when you are doing the activities in Cub Scouting.
The above items are the basic information that ALL Cub Scouts learn, which is why EVERY boy who enters into Cub Scouting earns the Bobcat Badge.